Monday, February 14, 2011

Why Another Monty Python Blog?

Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time, by Angelo Bronzino, 1545.
Look closely at the bottom left corner, above the dove. It's the foot of Cupid, but it's more famously known as 
The Monty Python foot used in the opening title sequence of their TV series, and on the album cover of their first LP.

Yes, why indeed another Monty Python blog? Well, because this one is going to focus on the group's albums. The recorded works of Monty Python are often overlooked or given very little attention in proper biographies and documentaries and such. I've heard tell that there exists a radio program about the very subject of Python Records called Monty Python's Wonderful World of Sound -- a title taken from a cut off their third LP Monty Python's Previous Record -- which aired on BBC Radio a couple of years ago, but which I have been unable to find on the internet. Oh, I've found references to it and links to it, but no streaming or downloadable files as such. So I haven't actually heard it.

No. My research is done by having listened to and memorized every groove of every Monty Python record since about 1977. When I was a kid, I would more or less study these albums. Geek that I was (is?) (am?) I was listening to comedy albums while all my friends were listening to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and Rush. Comedy records were and are (is?) (am?) of great interest to me, and at one time in my life I probably had over 500 of them in my vinyl record collection. Today I have maybe 200 or so, maybe 300 if I count the CDs.

But of these 200 (or maybe 300 or so if I count the CDs), I'm only going to focus on about ten or twelve of them here in this blog: The Monty Python LPs. Of course, I plan to cover all of the original Python LPs, that is to say, those that are not collections or reissues, rather their original planned releases. Like the Beatles, there are probably more Monty Python collections out there than there were original releases. But if this blog goes well and holds my interest -- as well as that of the two or one other people who are likely to read it -- then I'll get into the re-issues, the greatest hits collections, the best-of's and the infamous, never-released Hastily Cobbled Together For a Quick Buck bootleg(s).

But first, a word or two about who Monty Python even is (are?) (was?) (am?)

5 comments:

  1. "Thank you for the auspicious write-up. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    marsbahis
    trendbet
    galabet

    ReplyDelete